Are you a partner or a Defence member?
Would you like to access FREE Career Counselling and Employment Assistance Services through Defence during this pandemic?
Great news, it is possible for you to access free Career Counselling and Employment Assistance Service through Defence and make use of any down time you may have – at no cost to you.
So How Does This Free Career Counselling and Employment Assistance Services Work?
First and foremost your spouse or partner must be a Defence force member and meet the PEAP Eligibility Guidelines (click on link it will take you to them); once you have assessed if you are eligible it is simply a matter of contacting me (on 1300 300 557 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss your individual needs; I will then prepare a detailed PEAPS Quotation in accordance with Defence requirements and forward this to you for submission to the Defence.
There are two options for payment; either the you pays me directly and is reimbursed by Defence or you can wait until Defence processes and approves the application and they can pay me directly (so you are not out of pocket in anyway).
Once the Defence has approved the nominated services you will have 6 months to undertake the nominated services.
What Career Counselling and Employment Assistance Services can I access?
Through this program you can access a range of Career Counselling and Employment Assistance Services including:-
- Development of a personalised resume and/or resume coaching
- Identification of transferable skills
- Employment options and job placement advice
- Job search techniques and strategies
- Development of online employment profile (e.g. LinkedIn)
- Application and preparation of selection criteria
- Preparation and presentation for interview; and
- Other professional employment services (to be discussed prior to applying through the department)
to find out more about the program and services you can access through the PEAP program view the current PEAP Application documentation through our website.
But what the about the Corona Virus – Do I have to physically come to see you?
NO, whilst many clients love to come to my office for a face to face chat; it is possible to work with you from anywhere in Australia or around the world for that matter via telephone (traditional or video call via apps such as Hangouts) Skype or Zoom – see there are lots of options available – so lets work together and see which is the best one for you.
Hmmm maybe I should wait until this is all over until I access the Career Counselling and Employment Assistant Services
That is your call at the end of the day, I believe in free will, but let’s for one moment look at this from a different perspective.
Why now: –
That is an easy question to answer: –
- It is a free service to you – it will not cost you a thing if you put the application in and wait for the Defence to pay me directly; they will stay in contact with you and tell you if it is approved and paid – just as I will
- You are more likely to have a little bit of extra time now to focus on you – if you are in isolation for two weeks or if we all go into lockdown for a period of time you will have the time to speak to me and work through the process if you have the approval already
- There is no physical face to face contact – you and your loved ones are perfectly safe – although Skype and Zoom over the ability to see each other face to face via web camera if you have this available to you
- Act now while there are plenty of Defence employees to review and authorize the PEAP quotation (normally up to 30 days), is the virus takes the authorization process could be longer and or if the virus spreads it is possible divisions or areas maybe shut down– it is possible
- Get in while you can – whilst the government is handing out stimulus packages at the moment there are no guarantees that when things settle down that programs like this maybe stopped in order to recover from the economic impact; if you wait you may miss out
- Stay ahead of the pack; find out what your strengths and development areas are utilise this knowledge to develop a career and/or academic plan to move forward while others are waiting for this to be over; then grab the opportunities when they become available – during or after the pandemic.
Looking for more information – check out our Defence Career Counselling and Employment Assistant Services page;
Read a few recent testimonials from spouses/partners of Defence personnel; as you can see from the testimonial below many Defence clients are very happy with their PEAP Program outcomes.
In closing, may I take this opportunity to wish you and your family safety, health and wellbeing during this difficult time.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Katherine is the Founder of Blu Ripples a specialist Career Counselling and Consulting practice located in Port Stephens NSW. Katherine is a nationally registered Career Development Specialist and Counsellor; is a Professional Member of the Career Development Association of Australia, Member of the Australian Counselling Association of Australia and Australian Association for Psychological Type.
Described as an down to earth, knowledgable, empathetic and empowering professional, Katherine has helped spouses and partners of Defence personnel with a range of Career Counselling and Employment Assistance services; prior to assisting the Defence in this way Katherine has previously assisted departing Defence personnel and contractors prepare employment documentation since 2003.
Underpinning Katherine’s academia and private practice experience (2003-present) is 12 years experience predominantly in Human Resources and Administration (91 – 03).